Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lake Davis Report




I took a short drive up to the lake today to get some first hand accounts of the status of the lake before another round of snow and rain comes upon us. The west side road is still a snowmobile trail and usually the last to thaw. It will be another month I'm guessing before you can safely drive a standard car in there. Ice is covering the lake viewing from the dam as far as the eye can see. There are some patches of ground, more than I thought there would be, but there is also still snow drifts 2-4 feet deep. Since it was cold this morning I could walk on the snow without snow shoes with no fear of punching through and experiencing the dreaded "post hole". My first stop was Grasshopper cove, the creek is still a trickle and there was some open water. No visible signs of trout to be had. As I passed snow creek which feeds Honker Cove I noticed more water than the other creeks. Next stop was Coot Bay and there was more open water here but no signs of trout life. Mallard Cove had the most open water and I talked to a few bait chuckers that had limits of rainbows 17-21" the day before. Rainbow glitter powerbait was their weapon of choice (LOL!).

Water temps were in the high 30's on my thermometer, and I still think it will be at least 3 weeks before a hungry trout will take a fly. What we need now is warm temps and big wind to bust the lake up, and heat the water. The wildlife were very happy as they have the place to themselves. Both adult and juvenile bald eagles strafed Canadian geese, but with no luck. I did hear the mtn chickadees singing their mating call which I interpret as "cheeseburger". I will keep all of you posted as things change, but all I can think about is warm summer temps and damselflies - That's when Lake Davis really lets her colors fly!

3 comments:

Michael Nelson said...

Thanks for the report. I anxiously await the ice-out getting to the point where I can come up there and fish from my 'toon!

Unknown said...

Cheeseburger! I love it. Those chickadees define the Sierra for me. Oh, and by your description it's also often "cheese-cheeseburger".

Jonny B. said...

Scott,

I'm a huge Birder, and that's the great thing about fishing, you always have a bunch of our feathered friends around. I would like to come back in the after life as a dipper!

Total Pageviews