Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Adventures On The North Yuba


For the last few weeks of my life I have been deep in the North Yuba watershed exploring new areas to camp and fish. Haypress Creek (above) is a little gem and it flows through the Wild Plum Campground, which is a very nice campground - But make a reservation during peak times. We witnessed the biggest Golden Stone hatch I've ever seen! At a glance down the creek there was anywhere from 1 to 2 dozen adults flying at any given time! We started seeing fliers around 7:30pm and things just went crazy, and the fish responded by leaping high out of the water after them.


Butterflies of all types are flying through right now like these Pale Swallow Tails, which can be found by the dozens next to the water on a wet gravel bar keeping hydrated.


I love finding pocket water like this piece above while working my way upstream. This one has depth, several inflows, and plenty of cover for the native rainbows here.


Getting as close as I can without being detected by trout is a real challenge and a great game. High sticking dry flies all day long and keeping cool in that gin clear water is beyond fun - It's the best. As you can see I choose camo clothing, keep low, and no flashy items on the vest. Take your watch off as well.


I stuck with a few patterns and had great fishing, these trout are very eager and will hit just about anything. For me I choose the hopper in a variety of colors and sizes. You can't argue with a fly that does not need floatant and rides high, fish after fish. The hot fly was Gary LaFontaines Airhead in red and yellow, size#14.


The North Yuba is a fascinating river with a surprise around every corner. I really love this place, it reminds me of learning to fly fish on the West Branch Feather and the North Fork Feather when I was a boy. It's a rough and tumble kind of a river with a fast pace, and the roar of the white water echos off the canyon walls. Where Robins stuff their bellies full of Stoneflies, and take retreat on a low branch of a pine next to the river. They eat their meal, gaze about, and take in the sights and sounds of this most impressive watershed.

No comments:

Total Pageviews