Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

North Fork Yuba River Fly Fishing Report 7/11/2018


Summertime mode is in full swing on the North Fork Yuba River, and the fishing is very good. The flows have dropped dramatically in the last two weeks making for perfect conditions. Water temperatures are starting out at 57 in the morning and topping out by 62 in the upper watershed. Fishing pressure is moderate in the easy access areas and next to nothing in the more remote areas I like to take my guests.



Dry flies and dry/dropper rigs is a staple here during the summer months. I like to increase my dropper length to 30 inches in the deeper runs and pools, which has been much more productive. I got a chance to fish my guest's Sage SPL 0 weight yesterday and what a fun time. I will be picking up one of these very soon for the NFYR, and general creekin. Keep in mind a shorter leader will perform much better on shorter rods, a standard 7.5 leader to 5x is a good platform to start with.



Active aquatics include caddis, crane flies, little yellow sally's (aloperla), and the occasional random mayfly. The hoppers are out, and an abundance of both black and red ants too.


Western Azalea ~ Rhododendron occidentale

Flora and fauna observations include western azaleas, crimson columbine, seep spring monkey flowers, black bears, kingfishers, and the always present water ouzel. Unbound beauty, luscious pocket water, and fun fly fishing is what the North Fork Yuba River is all about. I've got some open dates for the next two months of prime time, give me a call at 530.228.0487, or email me at baiocchistroutfitters@yahoo.com to book your wilderness fly fishing adventure. See you where the wild things are.

The gatekeepers of Northern Tahoe National Forest 
The Sierra Buttes

No comments:

Total Pageviews