Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Monday, February 25, 2019

Buying Commercially Tied Flies


Though I tie most of my flies, I do buy commercially tied flies during the busy summer season, or certain patterns that burn up my valuable time. As a totally independent guide I have to rely on myself for everything. Nobody books trips for me. I must manage my own website and blog which I update on a weekly basis. Factor in marketing, networking, writing articles for magazines, upkeep on equipment (gear, boats, vehicles, etc.), and administrative duties adds up to being a full time job, which I enjoy immensely. I have a few tips for you which will make your commercially tied flies last longer and preform better on the water.

 1) After purchasing your flies from your local fly shop or distributor, take the time to de barb the hook of all of the patterns in hand.

2) With a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard Nails Extreme clear formula nail polish, glue the thread wraps with a needle for precise control and flow of the liquid, and let dry. Commercially tied flies are not glued at the time they are manufactured by hand, and that's why they fall apart

3) Take the time to clip off any stray hairs or other imperfections the pattern may have.

4) For dry flies, soak each fly in Loon Outdoors Hydrostop liquid and let dry for 48 hours. Your dry flies will float longer and will resist from being drowned by excessive water.


Once you've completed all of the steps above, the flies you bought will last longer and preform better while you are on the water. Make your well earned money last longer buy taking the extra time and attention of sealing the deal.

No comments:

Total Pageviews