Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Baiocchi's Troutfitters ~ 2019 Year in Review


Another year in the books comes to a close, and I'm here at CBC (Cat's Base Camp) reflecting on all the highlights that went down over the course of a very busy and productive season of fishing, guiding, and glorious adventures. It's also that time of the year with Christmas music in background emitting the oldies, Bing, Burl, and Judy belting out the songs that are timeless. Gifts are wrapped, and some have already been opened because we need that new gear for some upcoming missions starting tomorrow. The Christmas spirit is a little louder than normal for me this year, when life is good and you're happy, it's that feel good spirit that pours over the rim of the cup into your everyday life. I'm grateful for my current place in the universe. 


Let's start off with January on the Lower Yuba River where the fishing was so good I never put a nymphing rig on my guest's rods, it was all swinging and dry flies. A few storms came through without too much of a negative effect on the fishing, even with the river coming close to blowing out. Late December saw some very large steelhead caught, and it had been a while since any of us had seen such magnificent athletes in the system. That was really cool. Another ISE show went down as well, and I'm thankful for being chosen once again to speak there, and tie flies in the FFI booth. I'll be there again for 2020 with talks on Lost Sierra Creeks, the North Fork Yuba River, and also spinning some more bugs up.


The Skwala stoneflies started emerging the last week of January and it doesn't take long for the fish to notice a substantial food source floating down the currents and foam lines along the bank. It's the winter dry fly fishing, and the great hatches that enticed me to relocate from Eastern Plumas County down to Nevada City to be closer to the magic that the Lower Yuba River provides. Living in the Sierra foothills has been awesome despite how sensitive the Yuba river can be to blowing out with high water, as I can guide down there during the slower months. Close to home, and when we get those warm dry spells, it's the icing on the cake.


Just a reminder, if you're looking to really understand the Skwala hatch, check out the December 2014 issue of California Fly Fisher and the article I wrote on this most fascinating winter hatch. Better yet, book a day with me and I'll teach you all the intricate details of the willow fly. So good! I hope the new year brings a strong hatch and good fishable conditions.


February came in with a parade of storms that lasted well into spring. The Lower Yuba River was blown for months, and with nowhere to fish or guide, I had to reach into the tool box to generate some income to pay the bills - writing articles, speaker presentations, and trade shows. All of which I enjoy immensely due to the simple act of sharing my passion for fly fishing, and every little detail that pertains to it. 


Again, I'm very grateful to have these opportunities to share with the fly fishing community. Education, and sharing the knowledge on the resource is a big part of my life, and I love every minute of it.





February was also the month that my buddies launched a new project. GuideBox took the idea of a fly box subscription to the next level. If you're new to fly fishing, and a DIY type of person, this is the answer. I'm so excited to be a part of the GuideBox team, and looking forward to the future projects we have planned for 2020. When you work with people who are as passionate about fly fishing as you are, it really enhances the total experience for all.


The parade of AR's (atmospheric rivers) continued, and the snow pack was really adding up in the higher elevations. Though it sucked not being able to fish and guide, I knew it was going to be a great summer and fall with plenty of water for our buddies with fins and spots.


There was a small window of opportunity at the beginning of April on the Lower Yuba River with swinging streamers, and indo rigs bouncing stones and worms off the bottom substrate of the cobblestones. The flows came up again with a large and robust snow pack starting to melt, and at the bottom of the big watersheds, the Yuba, Feather, and Sacramento were flowing heavily. It was time once again, as I always do during the month of April, to switch gears to the Northern Sierra and begin guiding in the upper elevations. High Water Workshops, streamer games, and getting down and dirty with big heavy nymphs while working the side water. During this time is when some of the biggest trout are caught, especially on the Truckee and the Middle Fork Feather. 



I really enjoy the workshops and clinics that I offer, no matter the season, or the technique I'm teaching. They are so much fun, educational, and a real value for the fly angler looking to improve their skill set. I will be offering many more for 2020, including Tours for specific regions and watersheds as well. Check out my "News" page HERE for the complete 2020 schedule. I will be adding more as well, so keep checking the page.


Into June with a big boom! The busy season came on like a freight train, so fishy, with so many areas firing on all cylinders. The Little Truckee was good once the flows came down and settled in. The Middle Fork Feather River had a slow start though, but a few very large trout did appear some angler's nets. As I get older, I really appreciate the warmer months into fall among the mountains. Camping, fishing, hiking, and mountain biking. 2019 was also a stellar year for wildflowers due to all that precipitation that fell from the sky for so long. We witnessed a barrage of color spot well into the fall season.




The creeks of the Lost Sierra came into shape towards the end of June and provided some fantastic fishing all summer long. I also offered a few Tours of the creeks that flow into the Middle Fork Feather River in the Eastern portion of Plumas National Forest. They were a big hit, and everybody loved them. You can bet I'll be doing more for 2020.



July rocked! Though I despise the crowds of the 4th of July celebration, the 3rd was a magical day with my good friend Cat, Wow! She was on fire, and with only a year of fly fishing under her belt, I was simply blown away at her skill set. I really get off seeing some one new to fly fishing that has a radical progression rate. It truly is a thing of beauty.


By mid July the Middle Fork Feather River turned on and Northern California Tight Line Nymphing was hammering fish using some Euro style PMD nymphs. Dry / Dropper rigs were working really well too. This red hot action only lasted a few weeks, and as usual, the MFFR in the upper section became too warm. Sure, you can still catch fish, but is it worth it to the fishery when high water temps can be lethal to the wild trout. When this situation occurs, it's time to focus more intently on the creeks of the Lost Sierra, and head over the hill to the North Fork Yuba River.



I love guiding beginning fly anglers on the North Fork Yuba River, it's the perfect classroom. My guests love the NFFR too, as it is one of the most beautiful watersheds in the entire state. Crystal clear cold water all summer long, dry flies, and wet wading = Fun! Best of all, these great conditions continue all the way into the fall season. I surely can't wait until it's prime time again on this most amazing river.



There are two events that happen every summer that I look forward to, the Tahoe Truckee Fly Fisher's Cliff Frazier Memorial Youth Fly Fishing Camp, and their annual BBQ. So much fun seeing the kids learn about fly fishing, conservation, ecology, entomology, hook sets, and fish in the net. The BBQ? Great delicious food, raffles, and quality socializing with fellow club members. Good stuff!



September brought a long awaited vacation for me back to my Colorado roots. It had been decades since I fished there, and it did not disappoint! You can read all about my adventures on that special trip HERE



After the Colorado trip, it was back on the waters of the North Fork Yuba River to close out the season there. As the sun has a lower arc in the fall sky, it's important to fish during the warmest time of the day. The great action continued until the water temps dipped below 52 degrees, it was at that time to start focusing on the stillwaters of the Northern Sierra, especially Lake Davis.



It's amazing what happens when the Department of Fish & Wildlife puts out the effort to heavily plant a "put & take" fishery such as Lake Davis. The fall season at LD was super good, the best it had fished in the last 8 years! It was spiritually moving for me, and just like the good old days. The only fly we fished with for a month and a half was the Jay Fair Trolling Fly in fiery brown, rust, and burnt orange. No indo rigs, just stripping, and as you know, the tug is the drug when those big rainbows suck down your fly.



The best fishing of the year, and October was on fire! The MFFR was insane with BWO hatches. Northern California Tight Lining in the mornings, and dry flies in the afternoon. So special. For those fly anglers looking for solitude, and the experience of fishing the first designated Wild & Scenic river, the MFFR is a real gem. I've been fishing this river since the 70's and guiding it now for the last 23 years. If you're interested in fishing here, I've got the knowledge, and I'm willing to share it.



October blazed on with fall colors, and intense action on Lake Davis. The week of the 14th to the 20th was ridiculous! There were a few days we lost count on how many fish were brought to the net. With a higher lake level, we mostly fished from the boat with intermediate lines, while stripping Jay's flies. Way too much fun was had by all of my guests. Bent rods and smiles all around.


During my time guiding the Lost Sierra in fall, I also came down the hill for a few select trips on the Lower Yuba River. With the salmon in the system, eggs, S&M's, and legs crushed them. The native wild resident rainbows of the Yuba are like F-18's with the afterburners on when hooked. Many of my guests learned you have to let these fish run, or you'll break 'em off. Doh!!! 



The last week of October was brutal at Lake Davis, arctic temps and howling wind. It reminded me of late season fishing at Eagle Lake. The action was way slower, and the big mega pod I had found a few weeks earlier had dispersed and spread out. By November 1st it was time to pull the plug and get ready for my So Cal Presentation Tour - Which went incredibly well!

I want to thank all of my guests, fly clubs, and fishing buddies who joined me on the water - What a season! I also want to thank all of my sponsors, without your support it would be much harder to efficiently operate my guide service and share my knowledge. Here's to a new year with fresh exciting adventures, see you on the water!


No comments:

Total Pageviews