Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lower Yuba River Fly Fishing Report ~ The Corona Skwala Session ~ 3/22/2020



Total escape. Spending time on the Lower Yuba River fishing, exploring, bugging, and reveling in nature. It was so needed during these dire times. I found my true self once again. Yesterday was definitely a highlight in my fly fishing experience. The best? Close, but the Yampa last December 23rd has been the most special to me so far. I wish every guest of mine could have experienced what I felt yesterday. Words cannot describe how beautiful and fun my day was, but I’ll try…


A warm sunny day greeted us as we walked for miles to keep a safe distance from others. The wind was much stronger than predicted, and oddly it had some bite to it early on. My micro thin merino wool BUFF gave me comfort. I love simple functional gear and all the good things they provide, it’s the best. The flows have come down after the last storm, and are currently running at 1,090 cubes – perfect. The water has color to it which is a good thing, with visibility right at about 5 feet. The Yuba River is a little clearer downstream near Hammon Grove Park, so expect the fish to be not so grabby. There were many anglers out yesterday including gold panners, and just regular folk enjoying and using their Public Trust Doctrine (thank you for all your work on the Yuba River dad, and for teaching me at a young age to be a survivor!)

Robert J Baiocchi ~ San Jaun River, NM ~ 1983

Just one example of thousands, from Battling Bob…

With all this free time on your hands during our situation, google my dad’s name and your favorite body of water, or interest. You will be amazed…


Yesterday was special for the sole reason of fishing with my mentor Jimmy, The Obi Wan Kenobi of fly fishing. For close to 4 decades I’ve fly fished with this humble man, and every session I learn something from him, even if words are not spoken. His teachings are legendary, and like me, he breaks down his knowledge that is so easy to understand, yet has so much powerful lessons to be learned. I was reminded yesterday to slow down your pace when moving or entering the water (if at all), keeping a low profile, cast less and observe more, study your intended drift, and make a perfect presentation the very first time (doesn’t always happen though). Jedi training with Obi Wan is never disappointing, and I always learn something from his knowledge.



I fished a solo Unit Skwala the whole day. For the last month the spicy brown mustard color has been the best, and clipping off the legs short like the natural seems to work even better. Also, more of a slender foam over body has resulted in more grabs, but it also does not float as well. What I like to do is treat my quiver of Units like a hockey team playing a game. When your player is not performing well after being on the water for a while (doesn’t float very well), put it on the bench (your fly patch), and tie on a fresh player lightly coated in silicone floatant. Rotate your players (flies) often for best results.


I had one of the best drifts ever yesterday, and a bump feed that came close to my longest ever that was experienced on the Fall River many moons ago. It was also the raddest drift scenario ever with a huge back eddy and the reverse current moving upstream. There was a rainbow making aggressive rise forms 65 feet away, right next to the wall of basalt rock. Being that far way, you lost sight of the fly, and I had to rely on instinct using the force with Jedi mind tricks. A lengthy bump feed of monumental proportions. With my target being that far away, getting the fly in the 2 by 2 feet of strike zone was extremely tough due to so many micro currents affecting the drift. The first 4 times, the fly missed the zone, and I let the fly travel several more feet before slowly moving it to the left side, and stripping back in. I nailed it the 5th time with a delayed and over extended hook set due to so much line out of the tip of the rod. Then, all hell broke loose with spectacular leaps from the water as a 17” wild Yuba Bow peeled line off my reel. This could well be the best take in decades…



I raised 12 fish, hooked 9 (3 missed takes), and landed 2. Lots of conservation releases near the net, and that's ok with me. I’d rather have it that way. It’s good enough for me to make the needed presentation, get the grab and a solid hook set, play the fish, and actually get to see the specimen before spitting the barbless hook. All of the Yuba wild trout that ate my fly were between 14 and 17 inches, full of fight, and with large aerial displays. Man, those rainbows sure like to jump high – bow to the king…


My fishing buddies crossed the river in a section I could not, being a lightweight does have its disadvantages sometimes. It’s not the level of the water that keeps me from crossing, but the mass of the flow that pushes me downstream being so light. To be honest, I’d rather be a skinny, small man, with a heart of gold - Wild, athletic, and nimble, just like those Yuba rainbows I long to hunt for. Here’s the thing when it comes to crossing, it’s not a race. I’ve learned such as I get older. Taking your time and making every step count is golden advice. It’s the big boulders that get you. Having a wading staff makes a big difference. Obi Wan doesn’t own a wading staff, never has. He just picks up a good strong stick and uses it to cross. If you see stray sticks along the banks of the Lower Yuba River, there’s a good chance he, myself, or the original Chico crew was there – and the tradition continues…

Limited to the amount of space to fish near my buddies, I ventured downstream to a spot that during the last drought produced incredibly well. Most anglers walk past this crap water, Overhanging willows with no room to back cast, soft water, and only old salmon redds for structure. It has changed dramatically since the floods of 2017, and 2019, but the fish were there. It’s funny how opportunity can happen right at your feet while just observing. Subtle rise forms. These particular fish had never been molested. Every fly first presentation resulted in a grab. It was beautiful.

California poppy ~  Eschscholzia californica
Plenty of aquatics were out, and early on it started with just a light spinner fall of varies mayflies. By the afternoon there was BWOs, PMDs, March Browns, Brown Duns (yes, still a few hatching!), Caddis, and Skwala stones. The trout were eager for the PMDs and the micro caddis, and from 2pm to 4pm it was all about the Skwalas. The Skwala Nation is definitely waning, but there were plenty of adults out yesterday. This year I learned that air temperature greatly affects their flying behavior. With air temperatures at 50 to 60 degrees, there is not much flight activity. From 63 plus degrees and above, there are many more flyers in the air. Montana, Idaho, and Colorado may have more fish per mile, but those states cannot boast they have a 3 month long heavy Skwala stonefly hatch with epic dry fly fishing. Quality over quantity. Most often I’ll take the former, yet achieving two dozen fish to the net, with many more lost in 3 hours of tight lining on the South Platte River, does bring me to my knees.




There is more weather coming, and the river will rise. Looks like rain at first, so with all this low elevation snow in the foothills, it’s most likely to be a sharp and short deluge of a melt. Escape the current situation, be safe, and explore your world of fly fishing. It is the saving grace that binds us together. See you on the water…





No comments:

Total Pageviews