Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fishing Report - Jamison Creek
















The chores were done and my Gary Lafontaine stealth 6 wt. sat on the rod rack begging for action. I chose a section of Jamison Creek I have never fished, it is located just past the Jonhnsville bridge at the day use area. My usual haunt is deep in the canyon, but something new always gets the juices flowing. The gradient of the creek here is much less than the canyon. Long skinny pools mixed with pocket water, and my favorite - Lots of big log jams! Water temps were right at 60 degrees. Fishing was good, but here many other anglers hit this stretch due to it's easy access and the numbers I usually get were not the same. No complaints here though as I saw millions of Seep Spring and Scarlet monkey flowers that were in full bloom! I even saw a few of the rare Lewis's Monkey flowers as well. Calliope and Broad Tailed humming birds were busy pollinating these magnificent flowers, and having a great time. Once I leaped frogged a few other anglers I had complete solitude once again. My old friend the water ouzel showed me the way and sang a song that touched my inner soul. White headed wood peckers filled in with the percussion, and Eureka Peak stood guard to the west. I might add this is a great stretch to take the little ones who are new to fly fishing, it's a perfect classroom! There is something about fishing small creeks, it's as if I'm 7 seven years old again, combing the waters for trout, and learning the craft. In this rat race of a world it's the little creeks that make me feel so young and alive, and at peace with myself.

No comments:

Total Pageviews