Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fishing Report - Frenchmans Reservoir


The drive up to Frenchmans out of the town of Chilcoot is stunning this time of year, a little fall color left, and when you get to the canyon, the spectacle of the rock formations will stop you in your tracks.  I had to do a photo shoot for an upcoming presentation with the San Jose Flycasters (March 9th, 2011) and thought what the heck I'll wet a line.  I went to my go to spot, Snallygaster on the north west shore and the first thing I saw was some very low water levels, the lowest I have ever seen it.  Water temps were 46.3 degrees and the lake was glass.  I fished for a half hour from the bank and not a single bump.  "The fish are not here" I said and drove up and around to Crystal Point.  When I got down to the water I immediately saw a fish tailing in ankle deep water, and with one cast I had a hook up.  For the next two hours I had fish rising right in front of me, there was no reason to move.  I fished a Jay Fair trolling fly in brown on a #6 3xl hook, yep....BIG & UGLY!  The fish liked a fast retrieve with plenty of pauses.  I would cast to a tailing trout and you would think it would spook, but it boiled the fly!  The takes were fierce and aggressive and I was glad I had 3x tippet on.  I hooked and landed 17 fish 17-22", many fish were 3 pounders, and 1 gorgeous fish at 4 pounds.  These fish are way bigger and much more beautiful than the fish at Lake Davis right now.  I felt bad for the general fishing public as every hook up I had my blue heeler Madison would just go ballistic with the barking, then he would hear his echo thinking it was another dog and keep barking - He really is a nutcase, But I love him.  I don't fish Frenchmans that much as Lake Davis is only 12 miles from the house, but with the quality of the fish I saw today I will be back - If mother nature allows me to.

No comments:

Total Pageviews