Overpowering your cast – I’m guilty of this at times and it’s typical of most men to do, thinking more power will equal a greater distance. This is why most women excel at casting because they rely on finesse and timing. When overpowering rods that are a slow and medium action, they will fold and collapse with wasted energy, and not reaching the rod’s fullest potential. All one has to do is slow down their casting stroke while relying on the basic fundamentals
- Keep a level casting plane.
- Abrupt stops at the end of each casting stroke.
- Wait for the line to fully extend before making the motion to the next stroke.
- Slow to fast acceleration from the beginning to the end of your casting stroke.
- Keep a slightly off center casting plane to your side to keep the loop away from your body.
- Send it, earlier than you think.
- Learn the single haul as your skill set progresses, increased line speed is your friend.