Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lower Yuba River Fly Fishing Report ~ 4/16/2020



Before I get into the details of the Lower Yuba River I thought I would get you up to speed on what I’ve been doing during our recent “Time Out”. Tying lots of flies has consumed my time, and filling custom orders for long time guests of mine. It’s been a whole lot of fun to be honest and reacquainting myself with the moves that each special pattern requires. You can check out my flies HERE on Instagram, or HERE on my Facebook page. I’m also riding my bike now that the snow has melted from the Highway 20 trail system. It’s pretty rad to be able to go door to door on some epic rides from here at the ranch. There are so many downed trees and limbs all over the trails from the last big low elevation snowfall we had in mid March. Mother Nature’s pruning in full effect.


Here are some ways you can help support me and keep the machine going. First, I have 10 different educational handouts on a variety of subjects like “Pontoon Boats for Rivers”, Lake Davis & Frenchman Lake Fly and Hatch Info”, and “High Water Tactics” to name a few. These are very informative handouts that are worth every penny, and at $10 a piece you will have the PDF file forever. Go HERE to see the entire list and purchase some through PayPal.

Many past guests are also buying full and half day trips with no date picked out yet, just a credit for the future. You can do that as well, or leave a deposit HERE.

Lastly you can order Baiocchi’s Troutfitters merchandise like t-shirts, hoodies, custom bug trucker hats, water bottles, and coffee cups HERE.




So, onto the Lower Yuba River report, the weather is back to being warm and the rattlesnakes are out! I nearly stepped on this guy, just inches away! For the past two weeks I had been getting some excellent reports from close friends who tell it like it is. No BS, and plenty of pictures too. I went out last Tuesday with a close friend and it sucked. My mentor Jimmy was out there too with 2 other anglers who are great sticks and they got blanked as well. Just one of those days I guess – That’s the Yuba for you. Our last storm was pretty significant. Deer Creek came up quickly with a sharp spike of flows up to 4,291. It’s currently at 84 cubes. The Lower Yuba rose to 5,465, and is perfect right now (flow wise) at 1,085. There is color to the water and some days there is 3 feet of visibility and other days down to 18”. This is caused by clouds of sediment coming into Englebright reservoir from the South, Middle, and North forks of the Yuba and passing through the dam. I’ve seen the same conditions like this before that last for weeks after a good flushing from a heavy spring storm.


Lots of folks out fishing too, including spin anglers with barbed treble hooks at the bridge. Saw one fly guy standing on redds upstream of the bridge as he was hooked up. With the water being colored up I’m sure he did not realize he was crushing eggs. Oh well, I’m not a cop, but I do like to nicely educate people if they are willing to listen – Most don’t want to listen LOL! The poppies, lupine and some other varieties of wildflowers mixed in are going off right now! So cool. I must admit it was great for the soul just hiking around through all that magnificent color. What a game changing attitude adjuster that was. 


So many aquatics out right now, it’s unbelievable to be honest. The Yuba’s bug population is off the charts and bodes well for the future. Caddis flies everywhere including several different sizes. Olive, tan, ginger, and bright green bodies have been observed. Believe it or not, the Skwalas are still out and a report from Poncho last week stated there were hundreds in the drift on the lower river for about 3 hours. Golden stones are out as well as the salmon flies (Pteronarcys), and in pretty good populations, more than I have ever seen on the Yuba. Yellow Sallies are out too, the smaller ones (aloperla). Mayflies – PMDs, March Browns (I’m seeing more spinners than duns), a few BWOs, and am waiting to see the Gray Drakes pop which should be any day, if not already. Also some Pink Alberts in the mix too. As always after a big runoff period and colored up water, stones, eggs, and legs under the indo will be best if you’re all about the catching.

Overall the Yuba is fishing decent with some spectacular days, and some off days. I’m starting to venture up to the Northern Sierra to scout and fish, but I cannot guide on Forest Service land at this time as there is a state wide closure for commercial guides. All I can say during this mess is to get out and enjoy the great outdoors, it is our saving grace. See you on the water.



No comments:

Total Pageviews