Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tying The Common Backswimmer




I had never fished a Backswimmer pattern until July of 08 when I was frustrated with the Lake Davis rainbows refusing my damsel patterns. After searching the skinny water I observed the Common Backswimmer doing it's thing. I went home and tied up a simple version. My next visit to the lake was successful, and all those rainbows that kept me from getting a good night's sleep were mine. A few notes on tying this pattern; Backswimmers come in a few colors, at Lake Davis they range from olive, burnt yellow, tan, and dark brown. By adjusting the amount of foam that is put on, a fly can sink, or float. I like it right inbetween so the fly has a neutral buoyancy and sinks very slowly. I fish the Backswimmer with very short one inch strips while giving the fly some pauses.

The Backswimmer is a true bug coming from the family Notonectidae. They are master predators who ambush their prey my swimming underneath them and attacking. Backswimmers dive to the bottom when disturbed and rise at intervals to the surface for air. Occasionally they will fly to other suitable habitats to feed.

RECIPE:
-#12 tiemco 2457 scud hook.
-Under body; Paxton's buggy nymph dubbing.
-Legs; Jay Fair rubber legs in fiery brown.
-Back; 2mm foam cut to a desired width.
-Air bubble behind eye of hook; small clear bead.

No comments:

Total Pageviews