Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Friday, July 17, 2009

Tying The Skimmer Dragonfly Nymph




Fossils of dragonflies date back 300 million years, today there are 450 species in North America alone. Fly anglers are only concerned with two of these nymphs, the Darner (Family Aeschnidae) and the Skimmer (Family Libellulidae). This skimmer pattern is one I came up with for Eagle Lake (Lassen county, Northern California) while stalking the Eagle Lake strain rainbow amongst the tulle reeds. I like to tie up some that sink slowly, and some that drop like a rock. In the North part of Eagle Lake there is a white sandy bottom, and with gin clear water sight fishing is the name of game. I fish the heavily weighted dragonfly nymph here, and after I cast I let it sink to the bottom, and let it sit there. As a rainbow comes close to my fly I start stripping, leaving a puff of sand in it's wake - And those rainbows see that very well, darting over to the fly and eating it like it's the real thing!

The pattern is quick and easy to tie. I also only use four rubber legs instead of six, with one tie in point I can speed up the entire process. And lastly I use a brown sharpie felt pen to darken the back a bit and mottle the legs. Try a skimmer next time you find yourself fishing at Eagle Lake or any other place that holds dragonfly nymphs.

RECIPE:
-Mustad 9672 streamer hook in sizes #8, and #10.
-Body; Jay Fair mohair in olive brown.
-Legs; large olive rubber legs.
-Eyes; tungsten, chain, or mono depending on your target depth.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work butter. Makes want to head up there to fish the lakes.

Total Pageviews