Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Friday, July 10, 2009

Fishing Report - Lake Davis







After four days of big wind on the lake, NOAA forcasted less wind for today so I hooked up the boat and headed out. I nestled the boat on the bank amongst the willows in Jon's cove, a place I like to call home. Surface temps are high at 69 degrees but I had a trout stalker's game with about a half dozen fish in ankle deep water. When the fish come into this shallow of water, it's all sight fishing. Long Horn Caddis, and a creamy green Midge were active. I fished a Damsel nymph and after casting 25 minutes to a lone rainbow I had a hook up! The reel sang to high heaven as the fish peeled line out, and after a quick battle I saw a 19 incher with the most beautiful olive back. As I began to bring him in for a quick release, he did me a favor and promptly spit the hook out. I fished for about another half hour and decided to get the camera out and shoot some images, slow down, and see the true wonders this lake has to offer. Ring billed gulls patrolled the shoreline for Damsel nymphs, a Bald Eagle circled overhead and gave me a look, and Clark's Grebes where diving in the weed beds being goofy. I then saw a flock of Whimbrels that I have never witnessed at Lake Davis before, not a positive ID though but you know how mother nature likes to break the rules. The wind once again came up big, and I skirted to the North end of the lake by Fairview Point. I then trolled Damsel nymphs using Jay Fairs trolling system (which is deadly) and picked up 10 rainbows in a hour and a half. I like to troll because it allows me to find out where trout are holding by use of Sonar and visual recording, plus it's fun to catch fish!

The Damsel fly hatch is waning and the nymphs are getting lighter in color. From now until Fall fishing with a sinking line on the first ledge in 12-18 feet water will produce fish. Mornings and evenings will be productive, but hatches and areas of active feeding fish will vary. These fish are substance feeders, and like grazing cattle they need to eat - you just need to find them and put the fly in front of them. To my surprise I found quite a few floating snails today, they have been missing for the last 4 years due to low lake levels that leaves them high and dry on the bank. Snails are THE food staple for these trout, and this Fall may be red hot if they are back.

No comments:

Total Pageviews