Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fishing Report - Frenchmans Res.

My friend Mike had an encouraging report from Frenchmans last week, and a trip up there seemed to be a good cure for the shack nasties.  I fished during the warmest part of the day from 12pm to 2:30, warm meaning 32 degrees.  I went to Big Cove and the road was passable, but there was 5 inches of new snow.  I had first tracks on the way in.  Sticky clouds hung on the mountain tops glowing as the sun penetrated their realm.  Water temps in the shallows were a balmy 41 degrees.  I used the same rig I had on a month earlier and that is the Jay Fair trolling fly with a fast strip, the trout liked the rust color version today.  Around 1pm I started to see rising fish right in front of me, the lake was so calm you could see pressure wakes from them as they moved around foraging on tiny midge.  They were really spooky today, I would be casting and I could see them darting to the left and right as my line swept across the water.  I hooked 7 nice trout but I just could not get them to my hand - They all spit the hook.  I had planned on taking some home for the smoker, but I swear they feel my hunter intentions and do everything possible to get of my line!  It was such a beautiful day and so quiet that is was spooky.  Who knows when Frenchmans will lock up with ice for good, it's been a wet and wacky weather pattern for sure.  As I left for the car a Bald Eagle circled above me.  "See you next year my friend" I said, and with that he glided north through the frigid air looking for his next meal.

No comments:

Total Pageviews