Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tying The Yellow Sally Stonefly

The Yellow Sally Stonefly is from the family Perlodidae and measure about a quarter inch in size.  The nymphs live in the fast water of riffles and are aquatic predators.  The adults live on foliage near streams and feed on pollen.  Though very small in size the trout really love these little stoneflies.  I come from the Gary LaFontaine school of tying where size, profile, and movement of materials used are key factors - Not color.  But this little stonefly is a bright neon yellow with wings that shimmer and shine.  I'm not a trout but often think like one and I truly believe they key in on this bug for the color.  My dad used to do well back in the day with an old school pattern; The Yellow Palmer - Now I know why!  They are hard to see for the average fly angler, but if you find one then they are out and should be fished.  The Yellow Sally is in my fly box and it should be in yours too!

RECIPE:


Hook: Tiemco 101 #16.
Thread: Yellow 8/0.
Body: Yellow closed cell foam.
Wing: Elk Hair
Wing addition:  A few strands of pearl glister.
Hackle: Grizzly.

No comments:

Total Pageviews