Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Baiocchi's Troutfitters ~ 2017 Year In Review


2017 started out with a bang. Record precipitation and atmospheric rivers reeked havoc onto Northern California's watersheds. Rivers were blown out for months, and for many fly fishing guides like myself, we were out of work with nowhere to share our passion. Rivers, streams, and creeks were changed and received more than a good flushing. I made the most of it though by touring the state and providing fly clubs and expos with speaking presentations, and also writing articles for fly fishing publications.


By April is was apparent after a few trips to the Truckee River that is was possible to have good fishing even though the water levels were high and the clarity like mud. I reached out and taught my guests about the details of high water tactics, and it paid off. The spring of 2017 taught most anglers that the impossible was really possible.


We learned that big water was ruled by big fish which makes sense since they have the muscle power to overcome and adapt to the conditions. We also learned that even when the water is dirty a trout will rely on their sense of smell, and their lateral line which feeds their inner ear located in the brain for variables in vibrations. Worms, stone flies, eggs, and streamers were all effective. Not all rivers fared as well as the Truckee. The Lower Yuba River was a wasteland of rubble and would take months before any sign of aquatic life could be detected. 


Later in spring after the spawn was done at the fertile still waters of the Northern Sierra I began my yearly routine and investigating where the fish were located at for future trips. Lake Davis and Frenchman Lake were full to the brim and their spillways overflowed for months. Frenchman went from 27% of capacity to 103%. It was awesome to see.


The populations of trout were at an all time low at Lake Davis, and I moved all my booked stillwater trips to Frenchman Lake, and we hammered them. My guests and I had some pretty silly days with the indo rig. I learned that Frenchman's is dominated by chironomids, and the great fishing we experienced during the month of June was legendary.


Even heading into July the water levels on the North Fork Yuba were still high. This watershed was also changed by the floods during the past winter, and there were less fish in the system in a smaller size class. The NFYR is a fascinating river with a boundless amount of beauty. I really love this river.


I always enjoy guiding and teaching the youth of today on the NFYR, it's downsized and offers the potential for all of my students to hook into wild trout using dry flies. Even better it is situated in a rugged canyon that requires navigating around rough terrain. It's a workout, and one of the finest gyms ever provided by Mother Nature.


All the hatches came off late this year due to the high water events and substantial snow pack of 2017. On the Little Truckee River the Green Drakes and the PMD's were still hatching into the first few weeks of August. A rare occurrence for sure, but a delight to those that favor the dry fly game.


Hatches weren't the only thing that was affected by the high water of 2017. Guide trips by the dozens had to be rescheduled including the Tahoe Truckee Fly Fisher's Cliff Frazier Memorial, a trout camp for kids on the private water of the San Francisco Fly Caster's facility. This is one of my favorite events all year and it's so rewarding to share my passion and knowledge of fly fishing to aspiring students.


The second season moved in quickly as it always does and ends even quicker. Blazing fall colors, lower water temperatures, and changing trout metabolisms resulting in an all out eating spree. Fall ball is simply the best.


One of the most rewarding trips occurred this fall when a complete rookie hooked and landed a slab of a rainbow on the Little Truckee River after only fishing for fifteen minutes. That fish will be the most expensive experience for my guest due to him now having the addiction of fly fishing. Enjoy the ride my friend.


Back to Frenchman Lake with cooler water temperatures, and the trout going on the fall bite did not disappoint. Stripping flies was way more effective than staring at the bobber, which is a good thing. The tug is the drug, and sight fishing to skinny water rainbows with Callibaetis dry flies and nymphs is absolutely the most awesome game in town.


Frenchman Lake is stocked with the angry trout, the Eagle Lake strain rainbow that fights incredibly hard. I'm looking forward to 2018 and fishing this spectacular lake.


Back home and away from my summer camp in the Sierra. It's nice to be back working my local fishery of the Lower Yuba River. If you've been following my reports lately, than you know the river is slowly coming back from the torrential flows of this past winter. It's been fun to say the least.

2017 was a tough year for many, we fought the wars and wagered on. We learned, we laughed, and endured the hardships while at the same time appreciated what nature provided for us. I'm looking forward to 2018, my 21st year guiding and sharing my passion to all. I hope I get to spend some time with you on the water and create some memories that you'll remember forever. At this time I'd like to thank everybody for making another year of mine successful. The list is long but you know who you are, from my clients, to my sponsors - Thank you for all the support, it means so much to me. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! - Jon Baiocchi


No comments:

Total Pageviews