Spring Edition

Spring Edition
Spring Edition

Monday, November 16, 2020

WildStream Horizon 9 foot 8 weight Rod Review

 

Big water and big fish call for a big gun. Having fished the WildStream Horizon 905 (my dedicated dry fly and all rounder rod) I was excited to test drive the Horizon 908. The rod is extremely light when held in hand thanks to the IM 10 graphite construction. The action would be described as very fast, crisp, yet when fully loaded heavy for an angler like myself who is used to lighter weight rods. 


Top of the line components like over sized snake guides and two Fuji ceramic lined stripping guides on the #3 section. The butt section features a hook keeper, full Wells grip with grade “A” cork, premium reel seat, and a rubber tipped fighting butt to ensure a good grip while buried in your tummy, and torquing on the big catch.


The glossy finish is a black color infused with pearl metal flake and gold wraps – serious eye candy for the fly rod aficionado. It’s a four piece rod that comes with a lush rod sock and a cordura wrapped pvc case. As with all WildStream Fly Rods, an extra tip section is included.


I used a Redington Behemoth 7/8 reel lined with a #8 weight forward floating line. It took about 30 feet of line for the Horizon 908 to feel loaded, and the sweet spot was with 40 to 55 feet of line out. It was able to shoot line out effortlessly at great distances, and I was also able to pick up large amounts of line off the water for the next cast. It threw big and heavy flies well too. 

The backbone is very strong with good fighting abilities and incredible lifting power. The only changes I would make is increasing the length to 10 feet to keep your casting platform high above you while wading deep, or while in a boat.


The Horizon 908 is overkill for normal trout fishing, and light steelhead, but would shine magnificently at Pyramid Lake for big cutthroats, or on the Delta for stripers. I’m looking forward to fishing it more at both venues. 


My client Fred Barkis who fishes both salt and freshwater, had this to say about testing the WildStream Horizon 908 that I loaned him.

“I was casting a #2 Clouser with a short 12lb. level leader on the Rio Integrated Shooting head line, 300 grain sink tip, on intermediate running line. The rod actually loads very smooth and I can get an extra 10 to 15 feet of distance compared to the Echo Boost that I’ve been using. On the Boost I'm consistent to 70 to 75 feet. With the same double haul casting stroke I was easily clearing 80 to 85 feet on the Horizon. I also got some 90 foot shots with a decent turnover of the fly. I prefer how it casts compared to the Boost. The test went well. I caught three sand bass, all about this size last evening on the Horizon 908.”

Price for the Horizon 908 is $290, and they are manufactured in a limited run. To order your big gun go here: http://wildstreamfishing.com/

    WildStream Fly Rods

No comments:

Total Pageviews